Telkom has announced the launch of new shared data plans with their FreeMe Share Plans — which allow multiple SIMs to share a single…
International logistics solution Intership Ug has been named Uganda’s best startup by Seedstars World. The startup will travel to Switzerland in February 2016, where it will stand a chance of securing US$500 000 in equity investment.
Travel company lastminute.com group is also offering a US$500 000 equity investment for Seedstars World’s best travel startup, while the top space startup will receive a US$50 000 grant.
The winning startup is described as Uganda’s first package-forwarding service, allowing Ugandans to conveniently shop from the US, China and the UK.
Nielsimms Sangho, the co-founder and CEO of Intership Ug, explained that there’s massive opportunity in the logistics market:
There have been gaps in meeting the needs of SME’s and individuals who need to ship goods into the country and it is on the basis of this that we developed a solution that will enable us act as a middleman for SME’s and individuals.
Along with the winner, the two runners-up, Wizarts Media and Safe Boda walked away with free software tools, a year’s worth of mentoring, brand strategy and PR by Corporate Image, and three months of free keywords on shortcode provided by Africa’s Talking.
As listed in the press release, below are the finalists:
- Exact and Clear: An innovative software product which can produce voice output after scanning printed text on objects like papers.
- Yoza: A location based laundry service app that connects people who offer laundry services with people looking to do their dirty laundry.
- Commonsense app: An app that challenges the user by asking common sense questions and awarding points for correct answers. The points can be used to win tangible rewards.
- Roundbob: Intends to increase travel by Africans through increasing content availability and supporting this by negating the cost challenge.
- Krobits: Trendingshow is a mobile platform for individuals to directly connect to their TV shows by providing program lineups of local TV stations.
- Health Portal Uganda: HPU offers specialists and practices the ability to fill their open appointment slots, increasing utilization and revenue
- Tikiti App: An app that brings the convenience of finding, booking and paying for tickets and services on everyone’s smartphone.
- Wizarts Media: PMLive.Today is an online portal that provides radio stations across Uganda especially those in rural parts with a daily news digest./li>
- Yaakaa Digital Network: A new media platform (social network) for students and trainers in University, tertiary institutions, high schools and more.
- SafeBoda: Provides a safe, secure and convenient motorcycle taxi experience in Africa.
Seedstars World’s next stop is Nairobi, where the event will be hosted at iHub to select the best startup in Kenya.