While 5G is still firmly on the agenda for Vodacom in 2019, the company’s also looking at other budding technologies to expand its business…
“The ecosystem in Bamako is very young. Nevertheless, we have found some very interesting and promising startups that deserve more visibility, exposure and attention from a global audience.” says associate for Seedstars World, Claudia Makadristo, in a press release to Ventureburn.
The competition will follow a similar structure as other Seedstars World pitching competitions, with eight pre-selected startups pitching in front of a panel of judges and a live audience. They will have two minutes to complete their pitch, which will be followed by several minutes of Q&A from the judges.
Contestants are competing for a shot at the grand prize of US$500 000 equity investment. The winner of the Mali leg, along with over 60 other startups from around the world, will fight for the grand prize at the Seedstars World finals, which is happening in Switzerland in 2017.
The eight pre-selected contestants are:
- Feuze – a device used for geolocation, registration, and insurance of motorbikes
- AikoCorp – an online platform for transmitting medical results to patients
- Pharmoso – information application for finding pharmacy information by users
- Transup – a system for transferring phone credits between any mobile network
- E-Keneya – users are able to geolocate healthcare facilities and pharmacies
- AllianceJ – a platform for women looking for husbands, taking ethnicity and culture into consideration
- Orientkey – information system on high schools and universities
- HMV – vending machine using African currencies and not needing electricity
“Seedstars World is an amazing opportunity for the best entrepreneurs of emerging countries to be identified. The selected startups ‘those that will shape our future’ will benefit from access to a great network and community, media exposure and overall, the opportunity to connect with leading investors,” adds co-founder and CEO of Impact Hub Bamako Mohamed Keita.
Those wanting to attend the event can take a look at the Seedstars World website.
Feature image: Juan Jiménez Martínez via Flickr