• Top developers across five regions invited to compete and create innovative apps • Prizes on offer include up to USD$15,000 in cash, Huawei…
The pan-African startup competition launched in 2012 on a mission to showcase the continent’s talent while providing opportunities for both investors and tech entrepreneurs.
Hailing from all over the continent, finalists is said to have gone through a rigorous screening processes with the final vetting and adjudication done by a pan-African panel of judges comprised of entrepreneurs, VCs and academia.
According to Miguel Heilbron from VC4Africa — which is a partner of the event — DEMO Africa has received around 650 applications this year.
A wide variety of industries have been identified: agriculture, health, education, manufacturing, retail, media and entertainment, communication, transport and logistics, energy, finance and banking, water and sanitation, and waste management and recycling
Nine of the selected startups hail from Nigeria, seven from Kenya and three from South Africa.
You can book tickets for the DEMO Africa event, to be held in Lagos, Nigeria from 24 to 25 September. Investors and VIPs can click here for more information.
The startups are as follows:
- Abacus (Joel Macharia from Kenya)
- Airshop (Francis Yapobi from Ivory Coast)
- BambaPOS a cloud based Mobile POS solution (Karogi Kamau from Kenya)
- Bitsoko (Daniel Bloch from Kenya)
- Bozza Media (Emma Kaye from South Africa)
- Carparts Nigeria (Ade Oladapo from Nigeria)
- Eco-mc² Compressed Air Hydraulic Energy Storage (Magriet Leaper from South Africa)
- Edge Books (Daniel Oluwagbemiga ben-Daniel from South Africa)
- ENT-Mobile (Andrew Kamau from Kenya)
- Feem Wifi (Fritz Ekwoge Ekwoge from Cameroon)
- Flippy Campus (David Mumuni from Ghana)
- iKon Tracker (Adedayo Charis from Nigeria)
- InsureAfrika.com (Gagan Hayer from Kenya)
- IPC eProductivity (Lovemore Jokoya from Zimbabwe)
- Koomzo (Longchi Gide Kanouo from Cameroon)
- Lipaplus (Ndeeri Macharia from Kenya)
- LocName (Mourad Ashry from Egypt)
- Mavis Computel Ltd (Chizaram Ucheaga from Nigeria)
- ogaVenue (Andrew Airelobhegbe from Nigeria)
- PoshRite (Chidimma Nwankwo from Nigeria)
- Raye7 (Ahmed Negm from Egypt)
- Road Rules (Chikosi Tawanda from Zimbabwe)
- Roundbob (David Gonahasa from Uganda)
- Shield Finance (Kenny R from Kenya)
- SimbaPay (Nyasinga Onyancha from Nigeria)
- SmartEdu (Molawi Adesuyi from Nigeria)
- Talking Bookz (Kolapo Ogungbile from Nigeria)
- Tango TV (Victor Joseph from Tanzania)
- Zeepay Mobile Financial Services (Andrew Takyi-Appiah from Ghana)
- Zuvaa (Kelechi Anyadiegwu from Nigeria)