South African Tourism is a statutory body whose main object is to promote tourism to and within South Africa, by marketing the country as…
International seed-stage startup competition Seedstars World will be hosting its final pitching event 3 March 2016 in Geneva, Switzerland. The 13 African startups will be competing amongst a total of 55 from other countries for a US$500 000 equity prize.
The startups will be participating in a three-day bootcamp, which will include mentors from around the world. Afterwards, the winner will be chosen after the final round of pitches.
Prizes will also be awarded to other sectors, such as space and travel startups.
The Seedstars World Summit will play host to a range of panel discussions covering topics from women entrepreneurs to innovation in Africa. Investors from around the world will also be attending.
The 13 African startups are:
- Moovi from Mozambique – a platform centred around creating relevant events in the user’s community.
- Giraffe from South Africa – recruitment tool on mobile platforms.
- MyQ from Nigeria – an application for the transport industry that provides a variety of services.
- Asoriba from Ghana – web and mobile platform for effective church administration and engagement of members.
- Airshop from Abidjan – a marketplace for duty-free shopping and collection from duty-free shops.
- Mergims from Rwanda – mobile application for migrants to purchase goods in their country of origin for their families.
- Intership from Uganda – package forwarding service for parcels from the US and UK.
- Illuminum Greenhouse from Kenya – solar-powered farm automation system controlled buy users through SMS.
- Ahadoo Tec from Ethiopia – online and offline curriculum-mapped content for African students through a native Android and web app.
- Jobartis from Angola – a job portal combining traditional and market-specific features.
- Juabar from Tanzania – mobile solar electricity stores offering phone charging services and energy products as point of sale.
- VoLo from Senegal – affordable and easily accessible healthcare using its VTIP Health product.
- Modisar from Botswana – livestock farming app to help manage farm animals, finances, and resources.
Seedstars World is part of the Seedstars group, which is based in Geneva, Switzerland. The group is a global venture builder aiming to create and develop impact startups in emerging markets.