Vodacom has switched on 21 new base stations in rural areas across the Northern Cape and Free State provinces as part of its Rural…
It’s that time again when international startup competition Seedstars World starts its pitching rounds. The first event is taking place on 27 May in Cape Town with ten pre-selected startups.
The startups will be pitching to a panel of judges where the top three startups will be decided. These companies or individuals will take part in the final SA round in Johannesburg where they will be pitching against startups from Durban and Soweto
Standard Bank will be helping to support the competition.
“In order to provide local entrepreneurs with this opportunity and aiming to deliver the best possible event, Seedstars World is closely working with Standard Bank as we continue to support entrepreneurs with their growth and development needs through incubation programmes in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town,” says head of the Standard Bank incubator Jayshree Naidoo.
Other partners include Omidyar Network, PayFast, and Seedspace. Entrepreneur Traction will act as the local partner, which Jacobs Foundation is looking to award US$50 000 to the best global education startup.
The Cape Town event is taking place on 27 May at Warehouse 17 at the V&A Waterfront, and will feature ten pre-selected startups.
“Year over year, Cape Town is bringing its best foot forward and showcases the incredible variety and diversity, but also the quality of the companies that are being built right here in Cape Town,” says regional manager for Seedstars World Africa, Marcello Schermer.
The startups are:
- Crew Pencil – online booking service for the film industry
- AirSME – platform providing SME’s instant access to skilled individuals
- Britecamp – a platform to employ lower-skilled individuals
- Carerott – online mentorship programme for disadvantaged students
- Farmboek – an online platform for the agricultural industry
- iMobiMama – mobile pregnancy and retail service franchise
- Pargo – logistics company where customers can collect and deliver packages at
- The Student Hub – edtech company for tailored content and helping prep for exams
- WumDrop – a logistics company with an online platform
- Tribal Tourist – an online travel agency
The event will take place on 27 May at Workshop 17 in the V&A Waterfront. Those wanting to attend can register here for free.