Truecaller has added a new SMS feature to its app that filters important messages and protects users from spam and fraud. Smart SMS is…
Pitching competition Seedstars World has announced the 10 startups to compete at their Dar Es Salaam event in Tanzania on 24 September.
The winner of the Tanzanian event will attend the main pitching competition in Switzerland, with a chance to win US$1-million as well as the opportunity to network with investors and mentors from around the globe.
Tanzanian startups featured at the local Seedstars World leg include Planbook and Jamii
“The startup ecosystem in Tanzania has been growing exponentially and so does the quality of the startups themselves. We are looking forward to seeing what awaits us in this exciting place and cannot wait for our event on the 24th,” said Associate at Seedstars World, Saleem Kebede.
Seedstars World Dar Es Salaam will take place at the Buni Hub, where startups will pitch their innovative ideas and solutions to a panel of judges who will crown one startup as the most promising startup for Tanzania 2016.
“Winning a competition alone has never been a guarantee to success. But participating is most rewarding due to the exposure and attention which every business needs. I believe that the new generation of young entrepreneurs will shape Tanzania’s business landscape in a significant way, watch out,” said Arthur Mattli, Swiss ambassador to the East African community and Republic of Zambia.
“It is our effort to see that startups in Tanzania get the attention they need from the government. In achieving that goal, we are supporting Seedstars this year because we need to give exposure to our Tanzanian startups to get international attention ,” said director for communication services at the ministry of works, transport and communications, Clarence Ichwekeleza.
The ten startups to compete at Dar Es Salaam include:
- Bahari Technologies – A software which manages and tracks your subscriptions
- PHS (Greek Technologies Limited) – Paperless Hospital Systems is an integrated information management system
- Mitikaz Inc – A mobile billing service which allows businesses to create bill references which also accepts mobile cash payments
- Planbook Inc – A planning book which allows youth to better plan for their future
- Scancode (T) Limited – A company which offers high-tech solutions to stop the spread of fake products in the market
- MCA Technologies – A firm focusing on helping smallholder farmers through sustainable technology
- EcoAct Tanzania – A company which transforms consumer plastic waste into environmentally friendly lumber
- A-Trader (Andrea Consulting) – A trading platform which allows for trading securities in the local stock market using a mobile device
- Kilimo Info – This firm provides necessary agricultural information essential for agricultural process development
- Jamii (EdgePoint Digital Ltd) – A health insurance product for low-income families at just US$1 a month
Featured image: Larry Johnson via Flickr