Microsoft has announced that it’s partnering with non-profits to launch a hackathon that will aim to build solutions for women and children facing domestic…
From social media to music, nine startups have been chosen to participate in the Seedstars World pitching event on 14 October in Dakar, Senegal.
The startups will be competing to represent the country at the Seedstars World finals in Switzerland in 2017. There, they will stand a chance of winning up to US$1-million in equity investment.
“Seedstars World is an amazing opportunity for the best entrepreneurs of emerging countries to be identified. The selected startups, ‘those that will shape our future’ will benefit from access to a great network and community, media exposure and overall the opportunity to connect with leading investors,” says associate for Seedstars World, Claudia Makadristo, in a press release.
The event will be supported by Orange, Microsoft, Brussels Airlines, Intel, Jokkolabs, and local ambassador Concree.
“With nearly 8 million passengers per year from around the globe, we can offer the winning business the visibility and reach they need. Africa is the stronghold of our network, and we are committed to give[sic] back to the communities we fly to. Seedstars World is the ideal partner for us to do so,” says CEO of Brussels Airlines, Bernard Gustin.
“By enabling African tech startups to showcase their business to all our long-haul guests from and to Africa, North-Atlantic and soon also India, we hope to contribute to the further development of technology entrepreneurship on the continent.”
The competing startups are:
- Weebi – a debt tracking hardware and software solution for shopkeepers and their customers
- PayDunya – an API for African mobile money wallets and credit/debit cards to enable worldwide usage
- JokkoText – online service for musicians to add and sell their music
- Morinnove – social media-like service for finding information on products and services
- Direct Solution Sarl – financial products for Africans to improve financial inclusion
- Wutiko – job seeking platform for Africans
- Sharek (Solutions Makers) – app for easily transferring “anything”
- Seni Apps – electricity consumption app for craftsmen
- Karangue (2s Technologies) – an app for mothers to remind them about vaccination and pre & postnatal appointments
Those wishing to attend can find more information on the Seedstars World website.
Featured image: Jeff Attaway via Flickr.