HBO is bringing another best selling fantasy book series to life, this time with Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. The content company dropped…
One of the world’s biggest pitching events, Seedstars World has announced the top 12 startups to pitch in Rwanda.
The winner of the Rwandan event on 6 December 2016, will be crowned the most innovative startup and go on to compete at the final in Switzerland in 2017. Here, the best startups from over 60 counties will have the opportunity to win up to US$1-million with the main prize being US$ 500 000 in equity investment.
The Rwandan leg of the event is carried out with the support from Rwanda Online as well as local ambassador Aphrodice Mutangana. Further support is also offered by Microsoft4Afrika, Intel, Lionesses of Africa and Brussels Airlines among others.
“We are so happy to welcome Seedstars World community/family in the country of thousand hills and million smiles. Host Seedstars Africa means a lot to us as Rwanda has been a focal point and home of startups,” said GM chez at kLab, Aphrodice Mutangaga.
The following startups selected to pitch are:
- Steadybits – a chat software which allows both parties to stream videos and audio during the chat so that both parties could enjoy the content together
- Blue Innovation Ltd – a data monitoring solution which allows users to make informed decisions
- Mobicash – digital payment platform and bank
- Dope Apps – Allows passengers to plan their journey ahead, providing them with transport information on both the ride and the passenger
- UPlus Mutual Partners – Allows users to save money in trusted groups as well as borrow it based on how much the group trusts you
- QuickRide – dispatch fleet management system for large and small-scale businesses
- Gawana – this mobile app allows travellers with cars to offer rides between East African cities
- GO – gives smallholder farmers the ability to boost their harvest and assist them in growing financially
- VugaPay – safe way to send/receive money payments online without having to share your financial information
- Kasha – sells and receives female health products through a confidential and highly accessible retail platform
- MindSky – helps underbanked Africans receive low-interest loans based on their earning potential
- Raisins Lt – affordable lighting technologies that use 1Watt bulbs
“Rwanda is the success story of our continent. In the past few years only, there have been measurable advancements in integrating technology with the day to day life of Rwandans. We have heard so much about the bustling startup ecosystem in Rwanda and we are now here to witness the reality,” said associate at Seedstars World, Selam Kebede.
Featured image: Atulinda Images via Flickr