We’re little over two weeks away from casting our ballots, and Facebook is getting ready for South Africa’s 2019 National Elections. The social network…
Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets, has announced 12 startups that have been selected for a pitching event to take place at Standard Bank Incubator in Johannesburg this Friday (26 May).
This week’s event is already sold out.
The top startups will be advance to the grand finale and compete again for the title of most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World South Africa 2017.
Seedstars World will travel to more than 80 countries this year to identify the best seed-stage entrepreneurs and provide them with an opportunity to win up to $1-million, with the main prize being a $500,000 equity investment prize.
The 12 startups that are selected to participate at the Seedstars World pitching event are:
- Arcus Capital — Provides digital investment tools to help investors achieve their financial goals while solving advisers practise management and regulatory issues.
- BeaconWorx — A central platform which allows for collaboration between pilots, aircraft owners and training schools.
- CommuScore — An alternative credit scoring model focusing on the savings schemes and loan repayments that happen in the informal market.
- Empty Trips — Africa’s first online smart transport marketplace connecting transporters, brokers and shippers.
- Muzi Tech — Improves accuracy and create valuable epidemiology data for HIV screening by the use of a smartphone.
- powershare — Hand glove that connect to the phone via bluetooth whereby users can read and respond to their messages without looking at their phones.
- Simplus Innovation — Creates data experience solutions which utilize data to close the gap between the business and technology teams.
- WiPo Wireless Power — WiPo provides wireless power solutions for use in power line inspection drones
- Invoiceworx — An inventory financing platform that gives small retailers access to lines of credit from suppliers.
- Easy equities — Allows one to invest in the stock market at a fraction of the cost of traditional stock brokers.
- Lenoma Legal — A legal ecommerce website with instant legal document download capability for business owners.
- Ploiter — A business administration platform.
The South African competition is being held with the support of local lead partner, Standard Bank and local ambassador Entrepreneur Traction. Additional support is provided by regional partners Enel and Merck and local partner Payfast.