YouTube is working on a ‘Lite’ version of its Premium subscription plan, one that offers an ad-free experience but with fewer of the other…
Eleven startups will this Thursday (8 June) compete for a place in Seedstars World‘s regional final when the global pitching competition kicks off its Cape Town pitching competition at Workshop 17.
The regional final will be held at the Standard Bank Auditorium in Johannesburg on 29 June.
“The talent we see in South Africa year after year is just amazing, and we are excited to be back to Cape Town for the satellite event,” said Seedstars World Africa regional manager Claudia Makadristo in a press release to Ventureburn.
“This year, there is a great variety of quality companies tackling real problems in new innovative ways. We might be looking at the next global Seedstars world winner,” Makadristo said.
Seedstars World is moving around to 80 countries to find the best seed-stage startups to compete for up to $1-million, including the main prize of $500,000 in equity investment.
Seedstars World might be looking at the next global winner here in Cape Town
The following Cape Town startups will be competing for their spot in the regional final to represent South Africa.
- Arts Alternative — Specialises in hand-drawn portraiture, hand-paint murals and hand-paint advertising murals.
- Dietnostix — Is a dedicated three-in-one fat burner urine test which accurately monitors the amount of fat you’re losing.
- EMG Technologies — Aggregates regional medical content from experts in one app for medical professionals.
- GreenFingers Mobile — A mobile-first SaaS platform to finance and manage smallholder farmers.
- Hi5 — Helps companies grow via recognition and ongoing regular co-worker feedback.
- Jumpin Rides (Pty) Ltd — A ride-sharing service which aims to connect passengers travelling to the same location to drivers with empty seats in their car.
- mbora — A solar-powered IoT-enabled sensing suit which provides realtime visibility to any service provider across its network.
- MCX Technologies — Aims to drive down the cost of farming through automated vertical integration and local manufacturing.
- Regenize — Aims to motivate South Africans to recycle by using educational means as well as incentivisation programmes.
- Timu Trust — Connects unemployed people with opportunities within walking distance of where they live.
- Yoummday (Pty) Ltd — An online marketplace for contact centre solutions such as telesales, researchers, services and surveys, secretarial or translators.
The SA leg of Seedstars World is being held in partnership with Standard Bank and other local partners such as Enel, Microsoft4Afrika, Orange, Merck, TRECC and Deloitte.
Cape Town partners include Workshop 17, Spin Street House, Silicon Cape, New Ventures Studio, Impact Amplifier, ThundaFund and Goodwell Investments.