Zoom has announced it is giving its users the option to list their preferred pronouns and manage when they are displayed in meetings and…
Global pitching competition Seedstars World today announced the names of the 12 startups that will pitch at its Maputo event to be held at the Standard Bank incubator at the city this Wednesday.
The Maputo leg of the event is supported by Standard Bank and UX Information technologies. Seedstars World has also partnered with Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Shell and has received further support from Internet Solutions, Castle Lite, and Coca-Cola.
“Standard Bank’s purpose is Africa our home and we drive her growth. To this end, technology is a factor that will play a critical part in changing lives and fulfilling aspirations across the continent,” said Victor Jardim, head of personal and business banking of Standard Bank Mozambique in a press release to Ventureburn.
‘Mozambican startups improving in quality each year’
The competition’s scouting team will also travel to 79 other countries in search of the best startups that will compete for up to $500,000 in equity funding at next year’s Seedstars Global Summit in Switzerland.
The 12 startups selected to pitch are:
- Supevy — highlights products and services customers have upvoted close to you with their prices and customer reviews
- Buycomz — an ecommerce platform for international products with free shipping and easy payment methods
- CrimeDown — a USSD mobile platform aiming at tackling crime by providing resources for locating the nearest police stations, it also allows users to report any unlawful activity such as assault
- Dream Solutions Enterprise — Provides services such as event promotion and online ticket sales. It also allows its users to create reports and real-time tracking of their events.
- Fakul — a platform for students to help prepare for university admission exams
- Karingana Wa Karingana Textiles — provides customised brand prints produced on demand in small quantities
- Kharin, Lda — a platform which promotes tourism in Mozambique
- Olenvo — an e-learning platform connecting tutors and students
- Publiaki — LavaMe is a mobile app for a waterless carwash service allowing users to schedule their own ecofriendly carwash.
- Side — an educational platform which connects tutors to parents to facilitate their child’s quality of education as well as to provide them with additional learning materials
- Tabech Servicos E.I. — MóvelCare is a mobile service which allows its users to access funeral insurance without internet use.
- Tech4Kids Academy — leverages technology to provide African children, especially young girls, with various learning opportunities
Commented Seedstars World Africa regional manager Claudia Makadristo: “We see clearly that the quality of entrepreneurs improves every year and that the ecosystem is growing due to so many committed partners. In addition, we are really seeing the ecosystem come together and more collaboration between the ecosystem players. We cannot wait to come back.”
Featured Image: Gustavo Sugahara via Flickr (CC 2.0, resize)