British Airways is testing a new on-board entertainment option for passengers in the form of VR movies, TV shows and calming excercises. “The headsets…
Tech founders from 18 South African startups and companies are hoping to get some valuable networking done this morning as they rub shoulders with some top professionals from Silicon Valley in a meetup held in Cape Town by the Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Global.
The event will be held at the Table Bay Hotel in Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront.
In a press release, Vuyisa Qabaka of Entrepreneur Traction — which is facilitating the meetup — said the event has been fashioned as a one-day bootcamp by TiE.
Local tech founders would be able to undergo one-on-one mentorship with global leaders, while panel discussions would be held focusing on fundraising in the US and in Silicon Valley and doing business in Asia, India and the Middle East.
‘Indus Entrepreneurs Global is one of the most influential networks in the Valley and we were only too happy to support this initiative’
TiE was founded in 1992 in Silicon Valley by a group of successful entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and senior professionals with roots in the Indian subcontinent. There are currently 13 000 members, including over 2500 charter members in 61 chapters across 18 countries. The combined economic wealth creation of members is estimated at $200-billion.
Qabaka said the local startup ecosystem has seen “tremendous growth” and that more startups need exposure to global markets.
“TiE Global is one of the most influential networks in the Valley and we were only too happy to support this initiative in getting more local tech companies globally competitive. The impact will certainly be felt in the coming months and years,” he said.
The 18 companies that have been selected to participate in today’s event are:
- Entersekt — Provides digital and mobile security solutions for the banking and retail sectors
- Iono.FM — A modern all-in-one audio platform for radio stations and professional podcasters
- Vula Mobile — A mobile app that connects general healthcare workers directly with specialists.
- Wealth Migrate — Global online real estate investment marketplace
- WeAreMonsters — Web and mobile development agency building globally scalable technology that solve real world problems
- GetBuild — Responsive and code-free website building software that’s ecommerce ready
- Knowledge Foundry — Premier organisational development and e-learning solutions provider
- Recomed — Allows patients to find nearby doctors, dentists and other health professionals
- Intellicred — Protects online brands and identities
- GoMetro — Mobile app and service that captures and curates transport data
- Yoummday — Online marketplace for contact centre solutions such as telesales, researchers, services and surveys, secretarial or translators.
- MellowCabs — Eco-friendly public transport vehicle that is hailed by mobile app
- RanMarine — Solar-powered aquadrones that remove waste from the water
- Easy Equities — Online investment platform that enables investment in underlying shares for as little as R10 per share
- FOMO Travel — Lay-by or travel savings platform that offers alternative payment options for vacation travellers
- EMGuidance — Clinical facilitation platform that provides a centralised, digital access point for locally relevant clinical guidelines
- Kapitalwise — Deploys scalable cashflow prediction and next generation digital wealth management experience for financial institutions
- Crew Pencil — Online platform that connects production companies with qualified film crew