Twitter will soon start freeing the namespace of over 1.5 billion accounts due to inactivity. Twitter head Elon Musk said the accounts were spotted…
The Tanzania leg of the pitching competition is being held at the Golden Tulip Stone Town Boutique Hotel and kicked off at 4pm Tanzanian time. The startup that wins the event will compete at Seedstars Dar es Salaam next Friday (23 August).
The winner of the Dar es Salaam event will receive an all-inclusive trip to represent Tanzania at the Seedstars Africa Summit which will be held in Johannesburg in December (see this story).
The Seedstars Zanzibar winner will compete in next week’s Seedstars Dar es Salaam event
In addition, they will have the opportunity to be selected to join a three-month online growth programme as well as to attend the Global Seedstars Summit in Switzerland in April next year where the winner will take home a $500 000 investment prize.
The 10 startups that are pitching at Seedstars Zanzibar include a company that uses drones to conduct spatial analysis for environmental monitoring, another working on a tourist app and a healthtech firm. They are:
- Samem Agrispices Farming: This venture provides education and employment opportunities while addressing food security through organic farming.
- Zanzibit: Zanzibit has developed an app that provides users with access to public health information, and helps users make appointments with doctors as well as locate the nearest medical centres and pharmacies.
- Ali’s Decoration: Ali’s Decoration collects and processes waste into decorative items.
- DroneWings: This startup provides training on unmanned aerial vehicles (drones), data collections and spatial analysis for environmental monitoring.
- HI Local Incubator: This company develops and builds chicken egg incubators with high hatch rates.
- Nyumbani Care: Nyumbani Care is developing a web and mobile platform that connects working mothers to recommended house maids.
- MjasiriHub: This app links entrepreneurs to potential customers, fellow entrepreneurs, investors and other stakeholders.
- Sparkle: Sparkle is developing a mobile app that will help tourists navigate around Zanzibar.
- Zanzibar Health Innovation: This healthtech startup aims to tackle the shortage of heart diagnosis equipment in Zanzibar with its artificial intelligence cardiology robot.
- Nopovo: This online platform helps local designers sell African fashion around the world.
A panel of judges comprised of Human Development Innovation Fund social innovations advisor Simon Mtabazi, Seedstars regional partnerships manager for Africa Maryam Mgonja and D-Tree International logistics and administration assistant Moh’d Makame will select the winner.
Read more: Fintech startup Growth Factor wins Seedstars Accra
Read more: Seedstars announces Joburg as host city for its Africa summit
Read more: P2P micro lending marketplace Pezesha wins Seedstars Nairobi
Featured image: Jonas-Thoren via Pixabay