The Fitbit Versa 2 brings new hardware, a premium aesthetic and a Premium subscription service for fitness freaks. But one important and overlooked addition,…
Savca CEO Tanya van Lill said in a statement yesterday that the awards recognise portfolio companies that have not only thrived from private equity or venture capital investment, but that have also made a valuable contribution to their country.
Van Lill said following the success of Savca’s inaugural event held last year, the association has included an additional category this year to further open the platform up to a wider group of businesses.
The Savca Industry Awards are now in their second year
The awards categories now also include a category for startups or venture capital; one for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs); another for mid-market companies; and one for large companies.
“The shortlisted nominees have been selected from a long list of nominees based on their financial performance and their impactful contribution to the economic development of Southern Africa,” explained Van Lill.
The nominees are all portfolio companies ranging from startups to large companies across various industries that have prospered from private equity or venture capital investment within the last two years. They are:
- GoMetro: GoMetro aids public transport planning in emerging markets by mapping commuter movements
- Aerobotics: Aerobotics utilises drone technology to help to improve farmers’ yields by analysing crops to detect pests and diseases early on
- Ozow: Enables e-commerce by supporting merchants to accept EFT payments from customers
- Netcampus: With a focus on the disabled, Netcampus develops skills for the fourth industrial revolution
- DSES Project Solutions: Operates in the engineering sector to deliver large-scale projects in petrochemical and other industries
- Mediwell: A rapidly growing technology-enabled medical services business
- Auto X: Manufacturers of vehicle batteries supplying local and international clients
- Real Foods Group: Group of several food brands with a focus on health and wellness
- Dartcom: Manufacturers and distributors of equipment in the telecommunications technology sector
- Meridian Consolidated Investments: Manufactures, distributes and trades agricultural commodities in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
As part of the judging process Savca’s research partner, Intellidex, has evaluated the shortlisted finalists according to a set list of criteria.
A judging panel of senior business leaders will then determine who the winners will be at a gala dinner that will be held on 7 November.
The awards judging criteria include:
- Evidence of growth, including profit growth and investor returns
- Job preservation or creation
- Environmental impact
- Social impact
- Leadership team or reputation
Featured image: Savca (Screenshot)