Entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to learn more about alternative funding options and more in this week’s online events.
Ventureburn has updated its existing weekly series that highlights all the top startup events in Africa, by shifting to focus only on web events broadcast from Africa.
No ad to show here.
If you have any event recommendations for us to add to the list, or next week’s, please let us know in the comments below or send us an email.
Please notify us by Friday of the week before the event.
Not all the events are free and some will require booking in advance.
Please click on the event names to find out more information.
All times below are set in South African time unless indicated. These events are free of charge unless otherwise indicated.
Property Investment for beginners with Sakhile Moremi
Startup Grind will be hosting an event focusing on real estate investing for beginners with guest speaker and host Sakhile Moremi, a multi-business owner, the founder, and director of SK Heights Pty Ltd.
The event will cover the following topics:
- How you make money owning rental property
- Pros of owning rental property
- Cons of owning rental property
- How you make money with real estate crowdfunding
- The average rental yield in the area
- The type of tenants in the area (families, students etc)
- Whether the area is up-and-coming
- How close you want the rental property to be to your own home
- Understanding the risks
Date: 31 May 2021, 6pm
Alternative funding paths
Startup founders and entrepreneurs will have insight into alternative types of funding aside from venture capital with an informative masterclass hosted by Dogpatch Labs.
Leading the masterclass, Andrea Reynolds will unpack fundraising options from venture capital to other alternatives. As the CEO and founder of Swoop Funding, Reynolds has garnered an immense amount of experience in the SMEs sector.
The webinar will cover the following:
- How you can determine whether VC is (or isn’t) the right route for you
- What are some of the most popular and successful alternative routes to financing?
- Examples of ingenious alternative fundraising avenues Andrea has seen during her time at Swoop
- Becoming Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) eligible so you can leverage the UK investment market
Date: 4 June 2021, 3pm
Founders Forum: Co-creating a Startup Act in South Africa
AfricaArena, the City of Cape Town/ Invest Cape Town, Simodisa Silicon Cape, Digital Collective Africa, and the South Africa Startup Act have come together to host the Founders Forum. The event aims to bring together entrepreneurs, investors, corporate figures, and key stakeholders of the Western Cape business ecosystem to discuss and map sound policy that is designed to empower local businesses.
The event will focus on the following:
- Keynote presentations
- Panel discussions
- Round table discussions and workshops on how policy can be redesigned to empower small business in South Africa
Date: 3 June 2021, 9am -4pm
Shared Value Africa Initiative (SVAI) will be hosting a roundtable event bringing together various business leaders. As a leadership engagement platform, business leaders will have the opportunity to discuss possible solutions that aim to drive economic growth and shed light on the issues faced globally.
The virtual discussion will be preceded by visionary, renowned strategist and Harvard Business School professor, Mark Kramer, who will take stock of Shared Value over the past decade and look at what is next for businesses.
Esteemed business leaders and Chief Executives participating in the roundtable will unpack the theme, namely: ‘Competitive Collaboration in Africa – One Africa, One Voice’.
Date: 4 June 2021, 11am
Location: Zoom Webinar
Featured image: krakenimages via Unsplash