#CityofCapeTown trended on Wednesday and Thursday as users criticised the Cape Town municipality over an eviction incident that went viral. A video shared on…
Global pitching event, Seedstars World, has finalised their top 10 startups for the Mozambique leg of the tour. The event will take place on 15 July at Rua dos Desportistas.
The winner of this event will go on to represent Mozambique at the Seedstars World global competition in Switzerland next year.
Startups from 65 countries will compete for the chance to win up to US$1-million, as well as international networking opportunities.
In addition to the grand prize, Seedstars World partner, TRECC is awarding the Transformation Education Prize of US$50 000 to the best startup in education.
“Part of Standard Bank’s pan-African strategy, is its embracement of the digital future and the impact this will have on both banking and the businesses of tomorrow. It is inspiring to see the calibre of tech and e-commerce focused Mozambican entrepreneurs that have been short listed for the Seedstars Maputo competition”, says Chief Executive of Standard Bank Mozambique Chuma Nwokocha.
The top 10 startups are:
- Compra – An online store for top-quality tech brands and products such as Samsung, Sony and LG. Compra also offers its customers a wide range of tech services
- Kharinlda – a smart advertising tool for supermarkets to advertise their products and services as well as for consumers to compare prices
- BlackBox TV – Is a digital broadcasting service which allows you to stream content without the need for an internet connection
- MolaPay – A mobile platform which allows you to send and receive payments making use of peer-to-peer connectivity
- +J – Is a social media platform which offers its users a wide variety of products and services as well as other benefits
- Mozik – Is a music-streaming platform which focuses on the promotion of the African culture and sound
- Ola Taxi – Is a mobile application that allows you to not only track, but also locate nearby taxis and tchopelas (rickshaws) for your convenience
- IZYSHOP – Is an online supermarket which is dedicated to connecting producers directly to their consumer markets
- Vamobi Net – Is a startup which aims to modernise the archaic management of water supply and distribution systems in developing countries
- Kwine – Is a startup dedicated to helping you find your bus on time so you won’t be late again
“We are very excited to be back in Mozambique in 2016 and looking forward to witnessing the exceptional talent that Mozambique has and showcasing it on the global stage later this year,” said Associate for Seedstars World Africa, Claudia Makadristo.
Those interested can find out more information and tickets here.
Feature image: Stig Nygaard via Flickr.