The Small Enterprise Development Agency (Seda) has announced the names of 20 startups that will next week battle on another for the chance to be named the winner of Seda Pitch and Perfect — and with it, technology incentives to the value of R300 000.
The pitch for the winner of Season 4 of the competition will be held at the Seda Pitching Den, next Wednesday (11 September) during the SA Innovation Summit.
No ad to show here.
The startup that is placed second taking away technology incentives to the value of R200 000, while the third-place startup will take away technology incentives to the value of R100 000.
This year’s pitching den host and facilitator is The Hookup Dinner co-founder and The People’s Fund director Selebogo Molefe (pictured above).
The 20 were selected from regional pitching masterclasses and competitions that were held throughout the country between July and August.
The Seda Pitch and Perfect Season 4 finals will be held on 11 September at the SA Innovation Summit
Seda said in a statement on Wednesday (4 September) that the regional sessions were co-facilitated by Seda’s Technology and innovation consultant Kgaladi Thema-Sethoga and African Wealth Fund founder and Dragon’s Den Africa investor Lebo Gunguluza.
The judging panel included major representatives from institutions such as Absa, Mercantile Bank, Standard Bank, National Youth Development Agency, Small Enterprise Finance Agency, Gauteng Enterprise Propeller, National Empowerment Fund, Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa and the SA Innovation Summit.
The initiative aims to provide small businesses with professional tools on how to effectively present business cases and deliver persuasive pitches to potential funders, as well as improve access to market, technology and finance.
Seda said the 20 finalists had demonstrated the ability to pitch successfully to the judging panel during the regional events. The finalists represent a variety of sectors including ICT, services, food production and manufacturing. They are:
- Priyo Tech (Mahlatji Palesa): This edtech company has developed a portable computer solar lab
- Impilo Yethu Innovation (Andile Fundam): Impilo Yethu Innovation has developed a centralised database system for patient information that uses biometrics
- Uhuru Batho/Rosina Mushrooms (Khotso Mahatanya): This company grows oyster and shiitake mushrooms
- Eagle Fleet Solution(Colin Malatji): Vehicle tracking, booking, inspection and fleet management service
- Rudzambilu Holdings (Mashudu Lucky Netshidzati): This firm has developed Communicare, sign language glove translator system
- Monichron (Claire Shuttleworth): Monichron specialises in smart watches and medical monitoring of epilepsy and lung diseases
- Ihowzit (Roana Mouton): This company operates across e-commerce, construction and retail
- Innovative Logistics (Eljerel Naidoo): Courier solution linking logistics service providers and customers
- Sakhikhono Training and Development (Lumka Sibanyoni): Manufactures high end wooden caskets
- Respo App (Blessing Nzuza): Mobile app for ambulance response
- Tag Your Ride (Rogerant Tshibangu): Taxi hailing and ride-sharing app
- Premier Piping (Murendeni Masethe): Manufacture Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipes for building, civil and industrial markets
- Summer Trading / Setsong Tea Crafters (Retang Phahla): Produces indigenous tea
- Alfred Daisy Group: Specialises in chicken meat products
- Ramzo Mining and Construction (John Seretse): Manufacture any steel work according to the client specification
- Tsheotso Entle: Training and wellness academy
- Iyeza Health (Siraaj Adams): Bicycle delivery service for medicines
- Intelligent Safe Technologies (Giancarlo Bruno): Developed a “smart” computer-controlled safe which the company claims provides cutting-edge security
- Menlisec (Marlon Felkers): Produces a range of diabetics-friendly bread products that are totally wheat free
- Boerewors King (Nicholas Vtroll): Fast food franchise that specialises in selling boerewors
Featured image: The Hookup Dinner co-founder and The People’s Fund director Selebogo Molefe (SA Innovation Summit via Twitter)