In a response to the devastating fires that have impacted Cape Town, global e-hailing ride service Uber has launched UberCOMMUNITY. It is an initiative that encourages the local community to donate items and help students, firefighters, and volunteers impacted by the fire by simply using the Uber app.
It is an initiative that encourages the local community to help students, firefighters, and volunteers impacted by the fire by simply using the Uber app
No ad to show here.
With many University of Cape Town students displaced, over 100 firefighters working round the clock to tackle the blaze, it is up to the local community to step in and provide much-needed assistance.
Uber drivers will be mobilised to drop off donation items to collection points in Cape Town. By following the below steps, locals can access this delivery service free of charge and help assist those that are working hard to contain the fire.
Want to donate much-needed items to those affected by the CT fires? Simply enter the promo code UBERCOMMUNITYCT in your Uber app – this offers you 1 free trip (up to R250) for all trips ending at Old Mutual West Campus, Pinelands. T&Cs apply.
— Uber South Africa (@Uber_RSA) April 19, 2021
How to make use of UberCOMMUNITY
- Open the Uber app from Monday 19 April to Tuesday 20 April 2021 between 5 pm – 10 pm (Monday) and 9 am – 10 pm (Tuesday)
- Tap the Menu icon on the top left-hand corner of the Uber app
- Select ‘Wallet’ and scroll down and tap ‘Add Promo Code’.
- Enter UBERCOMMUNITYCT and tap ‘Add’. This offers you 1 free trip (up to R250). T&Cs will apply.
- Tap ‘Where to’ and enter ‘Old Mutual Mutual Park, Pinelands’.
- Request a ride as usual.
- When the driver arrives – please meet him or her at your pick-up point with your donations. Don’t forget to wear a mask or facial covering
- The driver will then deliver them directly to the UCT Student Representatives Council and Gift of the Givers drop-off point in Cape Town. Items received will be sorted, packaged, and distributed to those in need.
- Uber will cover the fare costs involved, drivers will be compensated per normal
- Riders will not be able to take any rides in any of the UberCOMMUNITY vehicles, these are strictly for donation supplies only.
In an official press statement, Uber outlines what items are needed for donation.
“Uber is encouraging all locals to donate items such as general toiletries, sanitary pads, beverages and non-perishable food items. Every donation, regardless of the size, will make a huge difference to those affected.”
The UberCOMMUNITY feature is only available in Cape Town CBD, Greenpoint, Constantia, Claremont, Rondebosch Lower, Pinelands, Century City, and surrounding areas to ensure that the drivers do not congest critical areas for emergency services.
The collection and distribution of all donations will be conducted in partnership with Gift of the Givers and donations will operate on 19 April from 5pm- 10pm and on 20 April 2021 from 9am to 10pm.
Locals are advised that all donations must be placed in a bag or box before being collected by an Uber driver and to clearly indicate what is being donated.
All Covid-19 protocols must be adhered to when you meet the drivers with the items to be sent to the donation collection points
Please note: Offer applies to the first 20,000 users who apply the promotion code. Offer applies to existing users of the Uber App. Valid for up to 1 trip. Offer valid from 19 April 2021 and, regardless of when the promotional code is applied, offer will automatically terminate at 22:00 on 20 April 2021.
Offer valid between 09:00, 19 April 2021 – 22:00, 20 April 2021. Restrictions: (i) Offer valid in South Africa only where the Uber App is available and; (ii) Maximum discount for this Offer is R250. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer
Featured image: Uber (Supplied)